I hail from the Garden State (New Jersey) and still live/work in this most densely populated state in the USA.
So, I saw this list and got quite a chuckle (okay – I’ll admit a few guffaws every now and then).
Admittedly there are some inside jokes, so if you do have any questions as to why this may be humorous (and please believe me that these are), feel free to ask in the comments.
Here it goes … You’re a genuine New Jerseyan if you recognize or can relate to at least 10 of these:
1. You still call the PNC Arts Center the “Garden State Arts Center”
and Brendan Byrne Arena will always be Brendan Byrne NOT Continental
2. You’ve been seriously injured at Action Park.
3. You don’t think of citrus when people mention “The Oranges.”
4. You know that it’s called “Great Adventure,” not “Six Flags.”
5. You’ve ordered a hard roll with butter for breakfast.
6. You’ve known the way to Seaside Heights since you were seven.
7. You’ve eaten at a diner, when you were stoned or drunk, at 3 am.
8. You remember that the “Two Guys” were from Harrison.
9. You know that the state isn’t one big oil refinery.
10. At least three people in your family still love Bruce Springsteen, and you know what town Jon Bon Jovi is from.
11. You know what a “jug handle” is.
12. You know that a WaWa is a convenience store.
13. You know that the state isn’t all farmland.
14. You know that there are no “beaches” in New Jersey – there’s “The
Shore,” and you know that the road to the shore is “The Parkway” not
“The Garden State Highway.”
15. You know that “Piney” isn’t referring to a tree.
16. Even your school cafeteria made good Italian subs. And you call it
a “sub” not a “submarine sandwich” or worse yet, a “hoagie” or a “hero.”
17. You remember the song from the Palisades Park commercials.
18. You know how to properly negotiate a Circle.
19. You knew that the last question had to do with driving.
20. You know that this is the only “New…” state that doesn’t require
“New” to identify it (like, try …Mexico, …York, …Hampshire –
doesn’t work, does it?).
21. You only go to New York City for day trips, and you only call it “The City.”
22. You know that a “White Castle” is the name of BOTH a fast food chain AND a fast food sandwich.
23. You consider a corned beef sandwich with lettuce and mayo a sacrilege.
24. In the 80’s you wore your hair REALLY high.
25. You don’t think “What exit” (do you live near?) is very funny.
26. You know that the real first “strip shopping center” in the country is Route 22.
27. You know that people from 609 area code are “a little different.”
28. You know that no respectable New Jerseyan goes to Princeton – that’s for out-of-staters.
29. The Jets-Giants game has started fights at your school or local bar.
30. You live within 20 minutes of at least three different malls.
31. You can see the Manhattan skyline from some part of your town.
32. You refer to all highways and interstates by their numbers.
33. Every year, you had at least one kid in your class named Tony.
34. You know where every “clip” shown in the Sopranos opening credits is.
35. You’ve gotten on the wrong highway trying to get out of Willowbrook Mall.
36. You’ve eaten a Boardwalk cheese steak with vinegar fries.
37. You start planning for Memorial Day weekend in February.
38. You’ve never pumped your own gas.